Wednesday 12 August 2009

Beetroot Chutney

I love beetroot. I love the colour. I love the way your hands turn bright pink when working with it. Oh the simple pleasures of life in the kitchen. I prefer this chutney to plain old pickled beetroot. If you grow your own this is the perfect way of using it.. The recipe comes from my Mother's old recipe book. Ludicrously simple, you just can't fail. I love it on just about everything. It is perfect with goats cheese and the colour gives wonderful contrast. It keeps for ages in a cool dark place.


Beetroot Chutney

Ingredients

1.3Kilos/3 lbs cooked beetroot cubed
225g/ 1/2 lb cooking apples cubed
2 large onions finely chopped
225g/ 1/2 lb sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teasp salt
568mls/1 pint malt vinegar
juice of a lemon

Approx 6 warm sterilised jam jars.

Method

Place the vinegar, salt, ginger, lemon juice, and sugar in a large thick based pan.
Add the apples and onions and give it all a good stir.
Boil for20 minutes
Add the beetroot amd boil for a further 15 mins or until nice and thick
Spoon into the warm jars.
Seal tightly.
Store in a cool dark place

That's it






17 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm a big fan of beetroot and chutney... A yummy recipe!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

I have to confess to not liking beetroot, even when roasted at home (tastes like old books to me!) - but in this form I think I might enjoy it!

Grannymar said...

I love beetroot and this chutney sounds right up my street.

Rhyleysgranny said...

@ Rosa - Thanks Rosa.

@ Maria- Lovely sweetness to it maria and the ginger gives it a little bite

@ Grannymar - Oh you will like this I promise. It's a cupboard staple with me.

Maria♥ said...

I'm sorry but I can't stand beetroot, it's definitely an acquired taste and I have to agree it does have an old taste about it!!

Maria
x

Rhyleysgranny said...

@ Maria. LOL So two Marias who don't like beetroot :)

Nickki said...

Your post brings back so many happy memories for me, my gran used to make beetroot chutney all the time. It looks gorgeous! x

Lisa said...

This looks delicious! I have a bunch of organic beetroot that I had 2 recipes in mind for, but I have to try this instead! I love the combination of beetroot and goats cheese. x

Gloria Baker said...

I love this Brenda, look really yummy!! Is now to me and I love! gloria

Coby said...

Granny, do you prefer to roast the beetroot or boil it (or some other method) prior to making the chutney please? Looks beautiful:D Mind you, I (am not named Maria;)) love it ALL ways, including the tinned stuff, so you can bet this is the perfect chutney for me:)

hungryandfrozen said...

I can definitely imagine this being good with goat's cheese. Beetroot and apples sounds like a lovely combination - a good one to try when they're going cheap at the market! Old recipes are so often the best :)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Coby I usually boil it. Sometimes I buy it ready boiled from a grocer in town who does huge ones in the summer.

Laura it is good . I love the sweetness.

Gloria I am glad you like it X

Coby said...

Thanks Granny:) Wow, Granny how convenient to be able to buy them ready cooked, no such option here and more's the pity - that is my kinda convenience food:)

Lucie said...

This is my first visit to your site and I have spent more than an hour drewling over all your wonderful treats and bakes - and all made with Northern Ireland TLC - what could be better! :) Thank you for sharing all your lovely ideas....it is all very inspiring.

Thanks and best wishes,

Lucie
http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

Rhyleysgranny said...

@ Lucie I take it you are a Northern Ireland girl. LOL I had a look at your blog and it is lovely. Thanks for dropping in :)

Lucie said...

Thanks for your message,I am from England but my Dad is from NI. I have my Granny nr Lisburn who has given us our love of soda, potato farls, wheaten, Tato crisps and all the other goodies she packed lovingly in her suitcase and brought to England since I was little. She is 86 now and still bakes and spoils us! There is nothing as warm as the NI hospitality, it is a very special place and I love visiting.

Best wishes, Lucie x

♥Rosie♥ said...

I do enjoy making my own preseves and your beetroot chutney sounds great one to add to my list.

Nice to be back viewing your creations Granny after my holidays :0)