Sunday 3 May 2009

Scottish Tablet

This is the most wonderful confection. I remember it fondly from my childhood in Scotland. Not to be confused with fudge which is a little softer and chewier. Scottish tablet will make your fillings scream but oh you will truly want another bit and another and another. It is melt in the mouth heaven. I thank Rita ,who lives away up in the highlands, for this lovely recipe. It is very simple and works so well. Don't let working with the boiling sugar put you off. Just be careful.

Tablet

1 kilo/2.2lbs granulated sugar
Large tin condensed milk - 397gms/14oz
1 cup of milk
50g/2ozs butter
vanilla extract about 1 teaspoon (optional)

Put all but the condensed milk in a heavy bottomed pan, and melt really slowly until there are absolutely no grains of sugar left,


Avoid stirring it vigorously, as you will push grains of sugar up the side of your pan and have gritty tablet.
If you do get grains up the side of the pan sweep them down with a wet silicone pastry brush.



Once it is all melted add the condensed milk and take to a rolling boil,


Now this varies as to how long it takes. It will change colour to a toffee colour but not too dark.



Test a drop of the mixture in a glass of cold water it should form a ball when rubbed between your fingers. If you have a sugar thermometer approx 240.F/12o.C .


Take it off the heat and beat it really well with a wooden spoon, you will feel it thicken as you beat, then pour into 8x10 inch greased swiss roll tin and leave to set.



Mark it before it is totally cold.



Now sit back and enjoy that sugary heaven melt in your mouth







26 comments:

Jules said...

I adore tablet, but have never tried to make it at home. You've inspired me to give it a go!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Netts Nook said...

Looks like my kind of treat. WOW

Unknown said...

could you define large tin (in ounces or ml)- I'd hate to waste the rest of the ingredients getting that wrong...

Thanx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Jules - You won't regret it. Well your waistline might

Rosa - Thank you

Netts - A treat it definitely is.

Jay - Thank you for dropping in and drawing my attention to the bit I missed out. It's corrected now. 397gms/14oz

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Oh, this looks devine! I need to add this to my "quick to make" list

Sally said...

Yours looks mighty fine Granny. Think I need to make it again. Thank you Rita for the recipe.

Blond Gourmand said...

Sounds fantastic. I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be 1.2kg or 2lbs of sugar, because these two measurements are quite different. 1.2kg is 2.65lbs. Could you please clarify as I need to make this right away!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Blond Gourmand - I am sorry for the mix up. It's 1 Kilo/2.2lbs. I am always in a muddle over imperial and metric. Thank you for drawing my attention to this.My apologies. I hope you enjoy.

Pearl said...

is this sort of like a scottish blondie/brownie?

Rhyleysgranny said...

Hi Pearl, No, this is more what Americans would call candy.

Gloria Baker said...

Brenda this look absolutely delicious, I really love it- Always I want to make, thanks by the recipe, xxxGloria

Rachel@fairycakeheaven said...

I can feel my arteries clogging and my poor broken tooth screaming in pain as we speak!!!

Anonymous said...

Very well done, Rhyleysgranny! Your photo story is great, too! It encourages me to give it a go, too :-) . Thank you very much for sharing!

Nanette XXX

Dewi said...

Oh, how can I stop my mouth from drooling?

Kana said...

Does it have a harder consistency that regular fudge?

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you Nanette Rachel and Elra :)


Maya it is harder and more sugary than fudge if you know what I mean.Thanks for dropping in :)

jaygirl said...

Wow Brenda, so many people intersted in our wee tablet, who would have thought it, your step by step is brilliant, I fell by the wayside many a time by not knowing when to stop. Well done couldn't have put it better if I tried.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rita - It was your instructions I followed. You are the author of the recipe after all :)

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I might be in Tennessee, but my heart is in Scotland. I thoroughly enjoyed the photo and your recipe. Can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

I made tablet with my daughters the other night using a similar recipie my dad used. His recipie didn't have milk but the result still has the enamel on your teeth disolving and the taste took me back 4 decades to my childhood.

Elizabeth

Nickki said...

I just adore tablet! Yours looks just perfect :)

test it comm said...

I have never had Scottish tablet but I am a big fan of fudge so I will have to try it! It looks so good!

beach houses said...

i Love Scottish delights.. and yours looks really good..

Anonymous said...

I just made the tablet. However mine does not look as thick as yours. I am hoping when it cools it will be good. It reminds me of the caramels I make every year at christmas.

Andrea Wilson said...

My sweet tooth is aching to taste this confection. I bet I'll savor each moment when it melts in mouth. I will surely make this. Thanks for the recipe!